What is my blog about?

"She had her nose in a book and her head in the clouds"

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dress Selection

Hi there, ya'll! I hope that everyone is managing to carry on as we make our way through exam week here at the University of Alabama.. I have just the thing to cheer ya'll up.. WEDDING DRESSES!! That's right, today, I'm going to talk about wedding dress selection.  A few weeks ago, my mom and I did a little shopping. And by a little, I mean six hours worth.  I knew that finding the right dress wouldn't be easy, but dress shopping is down right brutal! I took my clothes off more times in one day than any self respecting Southern woman should and by the time we left David's Bridal, I was ready for a stiff drink and a long nap! 
Here is what makes dress shopping so hard: Finding the perfect dress that reflects who you are and what you want your wedding day to be like. In order to find the perfect dress, you have to know yourself. So I had to look deep down on the inside and sort through all the things I think I am, things I want to be, and things I really am.  So here's what I found so far, I am a day dreamer and hopeless romantic who still tears up while watching Shakespeare in Love.  So as of now, with a newfound sense of self clarity, I am in search of a gown that comes with singing birds and mice that lace me into the dress and make last minute alterations! Just kidding.. In all seriousness, I want a dress that is soft and romantic, that has a little glitter and lots of intimate detailing, i want a dress that would make Cinderella herself green with envy! 
As if defining yourself wasn't difficult enough you have to choose between fitted or poofy? lace, beading, plain? cap sleeves, straps, strapless? mermaid, trumpet, a-line, ball gown?  Here are some practical thoughts for choosing the perfect gown.
  1. Think about your body type.  If you have some curvy girl hips and want to down play them, draw the eye up with some interesting detail on the bust or choose an a-line gown that won't over-accentuate!
  2. Don't forget to ask about color options.  These days, there are several color options.  You can go pure white, off white, ivory, champagne, or light gold.  Remember to take lighting into consideration as well.  I myself look better in champagne than I do it purest white so I will most likely be choosing a off white or ivory option.
  3. Have fun! Remember, its your day and no one elses.  Whatever makes you feel like a bridal beauty is exactly what you should go for. 
Thanks for stopping in and reading! More dress shopping plans are in the works and I can't wait to share my next adventure with ya'll! Love ya'll!

1 comment:

  1. I like the self-respecting southern woman part (hehe) :) This is really cute Jaclyn!

    ReplyDelete