What is my blog about?

"She had her nose in a book and her head in the clouds"

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wife Practice

Hi ya'll! I hope that this post finds everyone doing well! BIG NEWS: Matt and I bought a house!!! I'm so excited! My brain is already filled to the brim with decorating ideas, potential paint colors, and furniture arrangements.  I can't wait to get some pics up so ya'll can tour the new place!
Tonights blog is about what I'm jokingly calling "Wife Practice".  Eating Special K for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and using my floor as extra craft space is okay when living alone but those habits may not be conducive to marital bliss. So first, I've decided to conquer cooking! The recipe I attempted is called "Battered Beef" but I think it needs a much better name.  It turned out way better than I was hoping for! Here are some shots from the prep part of the cooking:



 First, I made the batter.




   Then I diced onions and fresh parsley, mixed it with 1 lb. of ground beef, and seasoned with salt and pepper.  
 
 Last I poured the 1/2 the batter in a a pan, added the beef mixture, and poured the rest of the batter over the top.  Bake for 1 hr.  and Voila! Dinner is served!








Here's the recipe:
1. First, make the batter.  Sift 1 cup of all purpose flour, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt into a bowl.  Make a well in the center and add 1 egg and 1/2 cup of milk.  Stir together with a wooden spoon, then beat well with a whisk or mixer until smooth and full of bubbles. Stir (with wooden spoon) in another 3/4 cup of milk, cover the bowl, and let rest for 30 min.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine 1 lb. ground beef, 1/2 onion diced, 1 garlic clove diced,  and 1 tbsp. parsley chopped.  Salt and pepper to tast. 
3. Heat oil in a shallow baking pan ( I used a rounder deeper dish and the cooking time was longer.  I would recommend a 13x9 pan) until very hot, then remove pan from heat.  Stir batter and pour half of it into the pan.  Spread ground beef mixture on top, using a spatula, and pour remaining batter over it.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until batter is bubbling, then reduce the oven to 350 degrees and bake additional 30 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Garnish with parsley and cut into squares. Serve immediately. 


I really enjoyed the final product! I might would add some cheese into the batter mixture! It was so fun to cook a real meal for myself! With a little practice over the next few months, I will be whipping up meals that will have Matt rushing home every night with his mouth watering! Later this week, I am making homemade sloppy joes!! Tune in for the recipe! Love ya'll!


Note: This recipe came from "1 ground beef, 100 meals" by Linda Doeser

No comments:

Post a Comment